Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Full Moon Rising

I have a dear friend who I always call on the full moon and howl with. It guarantees we talk once a month and let’s be honest, howling at the moon is fun! If my phone rings on the full moon, no matter where I was, I was howling!! I’ve howled some embarrassing places, but hey friendship rules over manners when it comes to shopping at Walmart, am I right?

With all the giggling this tradition has caused, I decided to share it with my nieces and nephews. It may now be one of my favorite aunty activities. Partially because I’m bad at following the calendar so I never know when the full moon is going to be so it is always a fun surprise but mostly, these kids are simply awesome!

Usually I get to chat with my sister or brother first, a little warm up if you will, and at some point I’ll say, “So it’s a full moon…..” They round up the troops and I get put on speaker phone and from states away we howl and howl! Now here is the awesome part, I get to talk to the kids. I learn things this way things that surprise even Mom & Dad. One niece told me she is going to grow up and have 80 kids – 10 boys and 70 girls. Hefty plans for a 4 year old! The other niece thinks her tap dance costume looks like a cheetah. I told her it was a jungle out there and she said, "No, it's a tap dance costume." This stuff is golden!

Yesterday was technically the full moon, but there is still time…go ahead, call the family! Release the howl.

1 comments:

nevedobson said...

you are hilarious ellen. i would love to witness this howl. let's hope there is one up at girls camp.